Monday, March 30, 2009

Aouda


Before: “You are four minutes slow. No matter; it’s enough to mention the error. Now from this moment, twenty-nine minutes after eleven, A.M., this Wednesday, October 2nd, you are in my service.” (Verne 13)
After: “When he opened them again, I love you, he said, simply. Yes, by all that is holiest, I love you, and I am entirely yours.” (Verne 236).

In the beginning of the novel, Fogg is very cold and somewhat calculating. After meeting Aouda however, he begins to change in personality. Although I realized that Fogg had changed a lot after meeting Aouda, I was very surprised when Fogg confessed his love to her. I was also surprised by how quickly he had made the decision to marry her, agreeing to marry her the very next day. The old Phileas Fogg would have never let such things, because he required everything to be superhumanly prompt and regular.

No comments:

Post a Comment